Sunday, December 24, 2017

Crazy Love

Sermon for Christmas Eve 2017
Luke 2:1-14

This is a night of crazy love.  In the midst of everything else you have on your heart and mind tonight, I’d ask you to stop for a moment and consider whether this makes any sense at all:  In a particular historical moment, specifically while some guy named Quirinius was governor of Syria, the Creator and Sovereign of the Universe decided it was a good idea to experience being human in order to save humans from the powers of sin and death that beat us down.  And not just that:  The Creator and Sovereign of the Universe decided the best way to do that was to be born to an unwed teenaged peasant oppressed by a foreign empire, in a day when medical infrastructure looked like pieces of cloth wrapped around a baby screaming in a barn.  This is how the Creator and Sovereign of the Universe decided to experience human life in order to save us: from the bottom up, from the inside out.  The theologians call it the doctrine of the Incarnation, but I call it crazy love – love that bends our minds even as we come here tonight to bend our knees.
I’ve had some glimpses of crazy love in my life.  Mostly, they’ve come from my parents.  My parents are older now and slowing down, but what I remember is love they drew from a well whose depth I can only hope to fathom.  My mother raised four kids, working as a teacher through several of those years; yet what I remember is her presence – reading to me every night, playing games, taking me to the library or the zoo, encouraging me to ask questions and explore.  My father was a university dean, doing the thankless work of administration with such taxing honor that his colleagues gave him the nickname, “Spike the Just.”  Yet, I remember him being there with me when he came home from work, playing catch in the backyard.  On a wall in my house is a fading photo from about 1970 of my father and me sitting at a campfire we’d built on a cold Colorado morning, warming our hands in mirror image and grinning the same grin that says, life doesn’t get any better than this.  In every way imaginable, my parents have given themselves to the four of us kids, then and now.  Being their child has been like living the last scene of the movie It’s a Wonderful Life.  And when I’ve told them how I feel incapable of ever paying them back, they say, of course, that’s not the point.  The point is to pay it forward with my kids … and with the world around me.  It’s crazy love, accounting that only makes sense in God’s economy.
Here’s what I’ve learned from my parents:  Their unconditional love is a glimpse, a sacrament, of God’s unconditional love.  And what that means, as hard as it is to say it out loud, is that I hold immeasurable value in God’s eyes.  There is nothing and no one that matters more to God; nothing and no one that stirs God’s heart more deeply.  And the same is true for you.  I don’t care who you are, or what you’ve done, or what you haven’t done – it is the truth, the fundamental truth of this holy night, that God loves you immeasurably.  Like any parent, God’s disappointed in you sometimes.  God’s heart may even ache tonight, wishing to see you coming down the road back home.  But God never gives up on you.  And you never cease being worth all that crazy love.
And you know, the same is true about the person sitting next to you.  And the person sitting down the pew.  And the person sitting on the couch back home.  And the person sitting at an empty bar, with no one to go home to.  And the person sleeping on the street, freezing tonight.  And the person lying in an Alzheimer’s unit.  And the person running away from the cops.  And the person crying because she can’t afford to buy her daughter a Christmas present.  God loves each of them a million times more than my parents love me. 
That is the gift of Christmas: love you can never earn, and love you can never repay.  All you can do is love someone else in return. 
Deep down, we all know that.  But what does that love look like? 
Our cherished images of Christmas tell us the story, like Christmas cards hanging on the doorways of our lives.  Think about A Christmas Carol, with Ebenezer Scrooge seeing the emptiness of his life, receiving the gift of a second chance, and finally sending the prize turkey to Tiny Tim and his family.  Think about It’s a Wonderful Life, with the self-sacrificing George Bailey wanting to kill himself for a life insurance payout but finding his friends rallying around, and showering him with love, and showing him he’s the richest man in town.  You know the story, told a hundred ways:  Life shortchanges you, or you shortchange others.  You feel your heart held captive, and you start to lose hope.  You can’t even see what redemption looks like, and you can’t imagine it coming to you.  And then God acts.
In the great, cosmic story of redemption we hear tonight, God announces divine action through angels visiting shepherds, with the whole host of the heavenly army turned into a glee club, stepping aside from the battle against sin and death to let a tiny child do the work instead.  And in that child, God comes as the true emperor, the one to show that Caesar is a cheap fraud, the one to free us from the power of evil and sin and death, vanquishing those powers at Easter.  But God does it in the last way anyone would’ve guessed.  In the words of the ancient carol we’ll hear in a few minutes, “This little babe so few days old is come to rifle Satan’s fold; / All hell doth at his presence quake, though he himself for cold [doth] shake.”  In the deep mystery of love, God sends a little child to do a conqueror’s work.
Though it’s crazy, it’s a pattern of love we can trust and from which God calls us to act.  Love is what changes the world.  Love is what frees us from the disfigured shadows of ourselves that life can turn us into.  Love is what changes the heart of Ebenezer Scrooge, and warms the heart of George Bailey, to live into the fullness of whom God’s created them to be.  Love comes from people we don’t expect to see, in places we don’t expect to find them, to fill holes in our hearts we never knew were there. 
That happened to me at the Free Store this Wednesday – and I imagine most of us who went there to give out clothes and talk to clients could tell our own story of unexpected love that came down that day.  One of our volunteers introduced me to a client.  The man looked at me and asked, “Can I trust you?”  And I said, “Well, if you can’t, I might as well just go on home now because trust is pretty much all I’ve got to work with.”  So the client replied, “I have a little feedback about this project, for you to consider for next year.”  And I thought, “OK, what did we do wrong…?”  But the man said, “Everything here is great, and I really appreciate it.  But next year, put out an offering box so we can help out, so we can give back.”  Then he handed me six dollars and said, “Here.  Use this as your first donation toward next year.”
That is God’s crazy love, a divine mystery we come to know best through flesh and bones.  Through people no better than ourselves.  Through the divine mystery of Incarnation: that the very essence of God’s being, love itself, comes to dwell among us and within us, stirring our stiff hearts to remember, form deep within our divine DNA, that we were created by Love for love.  In fact, the instrument of choice for accomplishing God’s grandest and most eternal purpose is … you.  Just as God comes into the world as a baby shivering in the cold, so God comes to you tonight, aching to be born anew.  And in your mundane flesh and bones, in your sometimes cold, cold heart, the Word takes flesh and dwells among us once again.
My parents were right.  I can never pay them back.  I can never return the love they’ve given me.  But I can take that love and show up for someone else, thousands of times over.  None of us can fix the world, but we can love it, one child of God at a time.  We can show up when someone is sick.  We can stay in relationship when our selfish hearts tell us to run.  We can show our children what it looks like to love, no matter what.  We can talk to a stranger who lives on the street.  We can get to know someone God brings into this church.  We can follow God’s lead, on this holy night, and love the world precisely as we find it, one broken person at a time.  As crazy as it sounds, that’s how Love saves the world today.  God wants nothing more than to share your life, and shape your heart, and take your flesh, and be born tonight, in you.

No comments:

Post a Comment