Sunday, February 18, 2018

Flying With the Buzzards

Sermon for Feb. 11, 2018 (Scout Sunday)
Mark 9:2-9

First, I want to welcome the Scouts, leaders, and parents of Pack and Troop 16 as we celebrate Scout Sunday today.  I know you’re here at the church every week for meetings, but it’s great to have all of you here today for worship, too.  And thanks especially to the Scouts serving as lectors, acolytes, and ushers this morning!
So, the Gospel reading on this Scout Sunday is one that probably seems like it has nothing to do with Scouting and, frankly, nothing to do with your life.  I want to try to convince you otherwise, so hang with me for a few minutes.  It’s the story of the the Transfiguration.  It’s a story of mystery, a story that I think is supposed to make us stop short and say, “Wait, what?”  So, if it leaves you a little confused, you’re in good company.
This is a mountaintop story, and we get lots of those moments in the Bible – Moses climbing Mt. Sinai to receive God’s law; Elijah seeing and talking with God on the mountain and living to tell the tale; Jesus wrestling with his demons on the Mount of Olives – even the crucifixion, which happens on a hill outside Jerusalem.  It seems like God’s chosen people are always climbing, always making their way up the mountain. 
That includes us, by the way.  But at least for me, those mountaintop experiences aren’t always clear, even when they stick with you a long time.  I had one of those moments on what passes for a mountain in Missouri.  I’d been out of college just a couple of years; I’d gone camping by myself in the St. Francois Mountains in south-central Missouri; and I found myself near the second-highest peak in the state.  Now, this is Missouri, so being the second-highest peak in the state doesn’t mean all that much, at 1,300 feet.  But still – there I was, at Mudlick Mountain; and I decided to hike up.  It was beautiful – the oaks and hickories towering above; squirrels and deer down below.  I could have driven up, but I wanted to see what I’d see going on foot. 
And the effort paid off.  At the summit, such as it was, I came out of the woods into a clearing with a fire tower rising above it.  And all over the fire tower, and all over that clearing, were large birds.  I remember them as eagles, but probably they were buzzards.  Whatever they were, when I came out of the woods, all these huge birds took off together; and it looked and sounded like the top of the mountain lifted off and flew away.  It was stunning, and I even took a few feathers home with me, to help me remember.  But I wasn’t quite sure what to make of the experience.  I mean, I’d taken the trouble to hike up that little mountain for some reason, right?  What was I looking for?  Well, something of significance, something of value, something that that would make a difference.  I was looking for an experience of glory.
That’s why we go on campouts or climb mountains, right?  I mean, you could just stay at a hotel instead.  You could just drive your car up the mountain, pull over, and look off the scenic view.  These days, you could just get a drone and fly it up there, shooting video of “your” experience.  So why do we go camping and climb mountains instead?
I think we do it to see what God will do with the experience.  I think we put ourselves out there to see what we’ll see and hear what we’ll hear.  We put ourselves out there to see how God might show up.
That’s what Peter, James, and John are doing in this morning’s Gospel story.  The difference here is that they have Jesus as a guide.  He takes them “up a high mountain apart, by themselves” (Mark 9:2).  The story doesn’t say why they’re taking this hike, but I think they’re looking to see how God might show up.  And God doesn’t disappoint them, though it’s a little more intense than the disciples would have wanted.  Jesus is “transfigured” before his friends, his clothes turning dazzling white and his face shining with the same light that pierced the darkness at the beginning of creation, the light of the Big Bang, the light of God’s own presence.  Then, Moses and Elijah appear out of nowhere, putting Jesus literally in conversation with the Law and the Prophets of the people of Israel.  In the middle of this fantasy scene, Peter thinks he needs to say something to make sense of it, so he offers to build little shrines to worship Jesus and Moses and Elijah.  But then comes the One they’ve all been waiting for, the One they hiked up the mountain to find.  A dark cloud descends over the mountaintop, and the divine voice thunders, “This is my Son, the Beloved; listen to him!” (Mark 9:7). 
And just as quickly as it began, the moment is over.  Moses and Elijah vanish, the cloud lifts, and the hikers are left with Jesus the trail guide looking normal again, ready to take them back down the mountain.
“Wait,” the disciples are thinking; “what was it God said?  ‘This is my Son; listen to him’?  But Jesus didn’t say anything.”  Well, that’s not very helpful.  Don’t you just wish sometimes that Jesus would show up and say exactly what he wants us to hear?  Wouldn’t it be great if Jesus just walked down the aisle and finished this sermon for me?
Not this time?  Well, OK.  Instead, let’s look at the story just before this one, where Jesus had something pretty significant to say.  It starts with Peter saying Jesus is the Messiah – God’s anointed king, the one who’s come to kick out the Romans and establish God’s rule instead.  But Jesus tells him, “Well, that’s not exactly how it works.”  In fact, it’s just the opposite.  He is the anointed king, but this king doesn’t rule the way we expect.  This king is hiking to Jerusalem, where he’ll climb a mountain with a cross on his back and come into his glory in the last way we’d imagine – bleeding and dying. 
And even worse, Jesus calls us to follow that path he’s about to take.  He says to the disciples, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves, and take up their cross, and follow me.  For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake … will save it.” (Mark 8:34-35)  The way this king will defeat the powers that oppress us is by sacrificing himself.  And that sacrifice saves us.  The pains you bear, the losses you endure, the failures that stick with you, the damage you cause that you’d give anything to fix … this king takes his cross to the top of the mountain and lets himself be broken on it to give you the chance to be healed. 
How does that work?  That hike with the cross leads the way to resurrection.  Jesus takes us to a place where endings aren’t endings, where death doesn’t stop us.  He takes us to a place where love makes us new and lets us live forever.  And, as if all that isn’t enough, Jesus asks us to join him on that path, and give ourselves away, and help him heal the world.  Follow me, he says, and let God’s light shine through you so you can light the way of resurrection for others. 
Here’s the thing:  When I hiked up Mudlick Mountain, I was a young man with a great future, by the world’s standards.  I was going somewhere.  I was the speechwriter and deputy press secretary for the governor of Missouri, and the governor liked what I was doing.  I could have been working for him when he became a senator, even when he became the nation’s attorney general, as it turned out.  But the work didn’t mean anything to me.  I didn’t feel like I was making a difference.  So, I went to Mudlick Mountain to look for a sign. 
I didn’t really hear or see anything specific from God in that flight of eagles (or buzzards).  But what I heard and saw was that God was there in the majesty of those birds, in the beauty of that peak.  I heard and saw God’s possibility.  Like those buzzards, even I could take flight … by leaving behind what I had and by turning away from where I was going.  I thought that meant being a teacher, so I left the governor’s office and went back to college.  I didn’t end up being a teacher, but I met the woman who would be my wife.  And we had kids.  And I got this call to be a priest.  And here I am, loving and serving you all.  It’s not the path I’d ever imagined, and every step along the way has cost me something – a lot, some of them.  But at the end of the day, I’ve found life I never knew was out there.
Others in the room this morning could tell a similar story.  And you Scouts, you’re learning this story, too – this story about giving yourself up in service, about putting the well-being of the den or patrol first, about putting yourself third behind God and other people.  And you’re learning the mystery Jesus was trying to show his friends up on that mountain: that success isn’t about achieving power.  Success isn’t about scoring highest.  Success isn’t about getting the most.  Success comes from loving and serving others.  Success comes from being God’s light for the people who join you along your path.  Success comes from the last thing you’d imagine: from giving yourself away.

No comments:

Post a Comment